Breastfeeding/ Mississippi CHAMPS
Communities and Hospitals Advancing Maternity Practices (CHAMPS) seeks to improve maternal and child health outcomes through the promotion of breastfeeding and Baby-Friendly practices across the United States. Mississippi CHAMPS is a continuation of CHAMPS South, which ran from August 2014 through July 2017 funded primarily by the W.K. Kellogg Foundation. While CHAMPS South focused on hospitals in Mississippi, New Orleans, Texas, and Southern Tennessee, Mississippi CHAMPS will solely focus on Mississippi hospitals and communities. Mississippi CHAMPS is funded by grants from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation and The Bower Foundation and will run for three years, August 2017 through July 2020.
Mississippi CHAMPS partners with Reaching Our Sisters Everywhere (ROSE), Inc., a member network that was founded to address breastfeeding disparities to improve health equity among people of color nationwide through culturally competent training, education, advocacy, and support. ROSE provides training for Community Transformers and assists with setting up breastfeeding clubs in communities where enrolled hospitals are located. Mississippi CHAMPS also partners with Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi to promote Baby-Friendly practices in the state. Baby-Friendly designation is now a requirement for Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi Quality Improvement Model adherence.
• Work with birthing hospitals in Mississippi to help them meet the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding and work towards Baby-Friendly designation.
• Work with communities in Mississippi to enable grassroots support and advocacy to improve maternal child health practices, especially in under-served populations.
• Anne Merewood, PhD, MPH; Director, Center for Health Equity, Education, & Research (CHEER)
• Laura Burnham, MPH; CHEER Project Director, CHAMPS Coach
• Kirsten Krane, MS-MPH, RDN, CLC; CHEER Project Director, CHAMPS Coach
• Becky Knapp, RN, MPH; CHEER Project Director, CHAMPS Coach
• Kimarie Bugg, MSN, FNP-BC, MPH, CLC, IBCLC; CHAMPS Community Engagement Director
• Cathy Carothers, BLA, IBCLC, FILCA; CHAMPS Mississippi Coordinator
• Lori Feldman-Winter, MD, MPH; CHAMPS Physician Champion
• Tawanda Logan-Hurt, BSW, CLC; CHAMPS Mississippi Delta Community & Hospital Consultant